Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Creative Sleeping

A sleep-deprived mind will not function properly. I've realized that way back in college after those all-night cramming for exams which didn't work at all. I failed miserably and ended up attending remedial classes.

Now, as a freelance writer, I've discovered that if you want to write something or be creative, it's best to sleep on it. I get many ideas for articles and stories after I lay down at night, or even sitting relaxed in a quiet room, just letting my mind drift.

And it's not just me. A lot of famous personalities created their masterpieces while in deep slumber. Author Robert Louis Stevenson dreamed the plot of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde while Jack Kerouac wrote his Book Of Dreams based on this own dream world. Golf legend Jack Nicklaus had a dream that allowed him to correct his golf swing. Paul McCartney discovered the tune for the song Yesterday in a dream. Otto Loewi, a German physiologist, won the Nobel Prize for medicine in 1936 for his work on the chemical transmission of nerve impulses. He discovered in a dream how to prove his theory.

So get that eight hours of sleep every night. And if you are like my friend Shawn Umsted, take every opportunity to nap. It will not only revitalize you, it can also lead to something creative and good!


No comments: